Welcome to the European PhD School
As Chair of the European PhD School, on the behalf of the entire Scientific Committee, I am pleased to announce the 18th edition of the European PhD School: Power Electronics, Electrical Machines, Energy Control and Power Systems, which will be held in Gaeta (Italy), May 22-26, 2017
The School was founded in 1999 with the goal of providing Ph.D. students with the opportunity to broaden their knowledge in the research areas of Power Electronics, Electrical Machines and Drives, Power Systems. Subsequently, the School has gained an increasing relevance thanks to the participation of highly qualified lecturers: in 2009 the School changed its name to “European” Ph.D. School.
Year by year continuous efforts have been made in order to improve the offering: main result was the increasing number of international students joining the School (more than 100!).
I am looking forward to meeting you in Gaeta and to sharing a most pleasant, interesting and fruitful PhD School 2017!
European PhD School Chair
2017 Edition Program in progress!
The Scientific Committee is finalizing the 2017 program of the European PhD School. Some changes in the format of the European PhD School week will be proposed, like:
- poster sessions by PhD’s, scheduled over 3 days;
- recruitment session dedicated just to last year PhD’s
- 2 Awards: PhD Award (for last year PhD’s) and Young PhD Award (for first/second year PhD’s)
- live demos scheduled in the program.
At the moment, the program includes:
- A. Rufer (EPFL, Lausanne) – Efficient energy storage: The good, the bad and the ugly
- B. Witkamp (AVERE Europe) – Electric Vehicle deployment: the transition to mass deployment in the coming decade
- Tobias Geyer (ABB Corporate Research, Switzerland)
- Wolfgang Weydanz (Robert Bosch GmbH)
- Frede Blaabjerg (Aalborg University, Denmark)
- Jürgen Biela (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
- Rajib Datta (General Electric Global Research Center)
- Andreas Falk (SMA Solar Technology AG)
- Alex Ruderman (Nazarbayev University)
- Radu Bojoi (Politecnico di Torino, Italy)
From 2017 it is mandatory to pass the PhD Final Evaluation Test to achieve ECTS certification. Final test will be scheduled just after the last lecture of May 25th, 2017. Alternatively, a certification of attendance will be issued.
European PhD School Award 2016
All the PhD School Organizing Committee is pleased to announce the winner of the European PhD School Award 2016:
Ehi Nazeraj, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)-Department of Electrical Engineering and Energy Technology (ETEC) – Mobility, Logistics and Automotive Technology Research Centre (MOBI).
2017 Edition Sponsor
Last edition, 2016
The Venue: the Angevine castle sits in the heart of Gaeta. The lower part of the castle was built during the rule of House of Anjou; the upper section was constructed by order of Emperor Charles V. The tall tower rising from the castle is the home of the Royal Chapel. The Montagna Spaccata, or Split Mountain, offers panoramic views and has a church sitting at its base. Its 35 steps take you to the fissure in the mountain, which overlooks the ocean and surrounding countryside.